The Carsey-Wolf Center and the Pollock Theater present unique public events and ongoing series that explore the production, adaptation, distribution, exhibition and preservation of diverse media works and projects. Each screening in this state-of-the-art venue is an event, featuring a moderated discussion after presentation of a film or television episode. For examples of recent Pollock Theater events and series, please visit this page. The Carsey-Wolf Center and Pollock Theater staff provide support for event planning, securing media and permissions, marketing, operations, and production details for a limited number of events each quarter that are carefully selected by our programming committee.
Please note that the Pollock Theater may not be rented for non-Carsey-Wolf Center events. If you are looking for a rental facility on campus, please contact the UCen, the Loma Pelona Center or the Mosher Alumni House.
Proposals are accepted on a rolling basis, and our limited programming slots may be filled several months in advance. We ask that proposals be submitted early in order to allow time to secure exhibition rights, create promotional materials, and arrange for staffing, among other logistical issues. The final dates for submitting a proposal for a particular quarter are:
Fall Quarter: 1st Monday in July
Winter Quarter: 1st Monday in November
Spring Quarter: 1st Monday in February
How to propose an event
In your proposal, please address the following questions:
- What is the film/media title? (please indicate format if known)
- Who is the coordinator or partner for the event?
- What is the proposed date and time of the event? Is the date flexible? (Typically, weekday events begin at 7:00 pm to accommodate audience travel time.)
- Who will moderate the event?
- Who are the potential guests? Have you had any direct contact with potential guests?
- How will the post-screening discussion be framed? What is the context for the screening?
- Who is the target audience for the event (students, UCSB campus community, Goleta and Santa Barbara community)? Are there particular UCSB courses that would be associated with the event, either as a required component of the class or as extra credit?
- What is the expected attendance for the event? The Pollock Theater seats 296.
- Our events are usually filmed by Pollock TV production for UCTV. Do you forsee any objection by your guests to recording your proposed event?
- Do you plan to hold a reception in the Michael Douglas Lobby at the Pollock Theater?
- What co-sponsorship resources would you offer in support of the event?
Proposals will be reviewed by the Carsey-Wolf Center’s programming committee. We strive to respond to submissions promptly, and we will acknowledge receipt of your proposal within one business day.